Thursday, December 6, 2007

Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings or Merry Christmas?

Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas, but not if you are one of the many people I came across last night at a 'Holiday' Party. Maybe I'm just a little too sensitive, but I really cannot stand it when someone says 'Happy Holidays' to me. Let me paint the picture for you... I receive an email for a 'Holiday Celebration' with decorations normally used for Christmas on the invite. So I think, 'ok, Ill go to the party, sounds like a hoot.' And yes it was titled Holiday Celebration. I get to the building where the celebration is at and as I exit the elevator my eyes are greeted by a Christmas tree which looks like an elf threw up decorations on it. I turn to the right to see another Christmas tree and a lady from the company hosting the 'Holiday Celebration' wearing one of those QVC host type Christmas sweaters with glitter, sparkles and what looks like real fur on Santa's Reindeer, you know the sweaters I'm talking about. She approaches me with a few items in hand:
  1. A cup with a Christmas tree on it.
  2. A napkin to match the cup, again, another Christmas tree.
  3. A plate to match the cup the napkin and the sweater on her back!
  4. She may have even been wearing Douglas Fur perfume, but I couldnt tell if it was her of the real miniature Christmas tree on her sweater, not really.
Back to the scene: I see her and say "Suppie (name removed) good to see you, did you decorate that beautiful Christmas tree?" She says, "Oh, no I didnt, but (name removed) got the tree from Home Depot the other day and spent hours decorating it and wrapping the presents under it." I said, "Oh sick, she freakin' went Craz-o on that tree and all the other Christmas decor look super festive for Christmas." She says, "Oh I know, doesent it look great, well, Happy Holidays to you." I thought, "Happy Holidays? Really? What does that mean anyway?" So I said "Seasons Eatings." Because that is just as stupid as 'Happy Holidays'. Why do I say 'Seasons Eatings'? Good question. 2 part answer.
  1. On the food network they say it this time of year, and it is the only annoying thing about the Food Network if you dont count Rachael Ray.
  2. In Super Troopers they have a little game of saying Meow instead of now, try it. People are not sure if they say now or really are saying meow. So I do it and they think "Did he say Seasons Eatings?"
It's a little joke I have with me and me.
All this to come to the point. We all know most of us are celebrating Christmas (even if you are not Christian) unless you are Jewish and then I would expect you to say Happy Hanukkah, to which I would reply I'm not Jewish, I'm Christian, I celebrate Christmas... So if someone says Happy Holidays I'm not sure what they are referring to. Is it Christmas, then say Merry Christmas. Do you celebrate Hanukkah? I know you are not referring to Kwanzaa. Or maybe you want to incorporate Christmas and the New Year into one greeting. Here is my thought - Jesus is the Reason for the Season. Just like the sign says! Lets celebrate Jesus and not try to pretend this is another dumb holiday like Flag Day or Groundhog Day. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

3 comments:

Charlie said...

they're called "holiday trees" now, not "christmas trees"

Anonymous said...

i stole a christmas tree from Home Depot once, think about the ethical dilemma with that.

Tyler said...

Ya... thats interesting! But you probably celebrate the 'Holidays', so it really wasnt a Christmas tree, but whatever you want it to be.